Thursday, June 12, 2008

Still sick

Here we are on Thursday and Emerson is still sick. I don't think she is better, but I don't think she is worse either. I know I said it before, but her cough is so sad. It makes me hurt for her. I called the pediatrician on Wednesday to see if there was anything else I could do to soothe her cough. They said to stick to the routine (humidifier, vicks, saline, nasal suction, elevated mattress, etc) until Friday. If she has not made progress by then I need to call back and most likely come in. They don't want something to get worse over the weekend. While I don't want to go back to the doctor, I do appreciate their concern. So, it looks like we will be back at the doctor tomorrow...unless by some miracle Emy sleeps great and wakes up healed.

Speaking of sleeping, as you can imagine Emerson has not been sleeping well due to the congestion and coughing. Every night this week she has woken up at some point and needed doctoring- saline drops, nasal suction, etc. Last night, she was inconsolable. She was screaming hysterically. She did not want to be rocked. She did not want to be put back into bed...literally at midnight Steve and I were pacing around carrying her asking each other "what should we do?".

Steve offered to sleep on the couch so that Emerson could attempt to sleep in bed with me. By this point, Emy had been up so long that she thought it was time to play. So, we laid in bed and she played with her bunny and talked...well, talked between coughing fits. I was lying there looking at her thinking that it was going to be a long night. After about 30 minutes of playing in the dark, she finally fell asleep. Amazingly, she slept until 6am.

I will try and post the weekly pictures and an update tomorrow.

Love,
Sabrina

PS: Happy birthday Dad!

1 comments:

J A Hynek said...

Is her cough worse at night? Does it sound something like a seal barking? Is it non-productive? If so, then she may have the croup in addition to the cold. This is quite common. Croup is irritation of the bronchial tubes (and may have a virus associated with it too but I would have to look that up) and it is always worse at night.

Hank went through two bouts of this with colds in the early spring. The things you are doing to treat the cold are the same things you do for the croup. However, there is one more thing to try (and this was the only way I could get Hank's cough calmed down enough that he could sleep). Turn the shower in the bathroom on hot and get the steam going. I mean absoultely dripping with steam. The wetter the air the better. Put a chair in the bathroom and take Emy in there with you and just sit in the steamy room for a minimum of 15 minutes. I always pushed it to about 25 to 30 minutes - basically until the hot water runs out. It will help sooth her cough and loosen up anything that might be trying to set up in her chest. I did this with Hank several times at 2 AM when the poor kid just couldn't sleep for the coughing. It works great.

Hope she is better soon. Hang in there.