Sunday, May 15, 2011

Emerson's First Dance Recital

It took me a long time to fall asleep Friday night. I laid in bed worrying about how Emerson would do at her first dance recital the next morning. I was not worried about her messing up the routine or anything like that, I was concerned with how she would react to being on stage in front of so many people. And how I would react to her reaction.

While I did want her to do well, I am not a crazy pageant mom. I did not drill her on the routine for months. I did not put her hair in rollers and mess with putting mascara on her tiny eye lashes. It was nothing like that. Basically, (as I told many of you earlier) I was going to consider anything other than standing on stage, crying a success.

We woke up Saturday morning as usual. Steve took Ashton to my in-laws house so that Emy and I could concentrate on getting ready. We did light make up. Put hair into a ballerina bun with only minor complaints about the bobby pins. Got to use hairspray (a favorite of emy's). Most importantly Emerson finally got to wear the coveted recital costume that had been hanging in mommy's closet for several months.

We got to the church and there was a lot of hustle and bustle with all the girls being dropped off. I took some pre-show pictures of Emy and with Emy (only to accidentally delete them later- still makes me sick to think about!). She was excited all morning. Then I had to sign her in and drop her at the door. And she hesitated. I almost broke down in tears right there. I knew it was going to be a long morning. Almost 3 hours in a room with 50+ other girls, no food and no mommy. Yikes.

Her class performed their ballet routine 4th and their tap routine somewhere towards the end- 18th I think. Anyways, after the 3rd group finished their routine, the lights went out and Emerson's class walked on stage. I had to swallow back the lump in my throat. Nothing had happened yet and I was almost in tears. The lights came up and she did AMAZING! Not only were there no tears but she smiled! And danced! And did so great! I could not have been more proud.







Emerson's sweet little friend Hayden, came and watched the entire show just so he could give her flowers and a hug when it was over. So cute:)
This is what kind of picture I got after the show. She was completely SPENT. Seriously, I haven't seen a breakdown from exhaustion like that in a long time.
Anyways, I can't explain all the thoughts and emotions that I experienced Saturday. Seeing your little girl be so brave and get on stage in front of hundreds of strangers and show off something that she learned is indescribable. The pride is overwhelming. Seeing the pride in her eyes is even more overwhelming.

We have since recovered from the lack of sleep (By the way, Ashton did amazing considering his schedule was completely messed up) and over-stimulation and are ready for the summer. I am not sure if Emerson will want to take dance again next year. I have a feeling she will but I will leave that decision up to her.


Photobucket

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amelia's first dance recital was Saturday too, so I am right there with you! TOO SWEET!

Amy said...

I love this post! I can imagine how proud you must have been of her! She's a doll in that sweet little tutu!